Blog Post 1

Teachers and students are influenced by society and each other to use technology inside the classroom. Teachers are always looking for new ways to engage their students so the use of new technology is a great way for such engagement. Students are influenced by their innovation and creativity to make schoolwork more fun. Teachers are also able to specialize education through using technology. 

I believe that the ISTE standards are important and required in our current society. Teachers need to be able to connect with their students and be able to navigate the online world. For myself the "Learner" standard for educators on the ISTE website is the most meaningful. Learning is a life long process so as a teacher I hope to continue learning and growing. The standard that would be slightly out of my current skill set is the "Analyst" standard; I think that my ability to use statistics and to use data efficiently is not as good as it could be. 

The term "digital native" is very accurate for today's youth. The internet is just like another country so using terms such as "digital native" and "digital immigrants" is very accurate. To be a "digital native" is to be born into a society where technology is used in the day to day activities. The children that I will be teaching one day are more of "digital natives" than I am because in my childhood flip phones were new technology while iPhones are old technology for my future students. Some teachers are extremely opposed to technology and some teachers have embraced technology but the major difference is the idea of what basic technology skills are required. This difference in skill level is very subtle such as my generation being able to use Microsoft Office and mobile devices and older generations struggling to use most social media. I think that my students will be more advance than I am so as a teacher I will have to stay up to date on technology. 

Comments

  1. I agree that teachers are trying their best to find ways to engage with their students. Using different forms of technology can certainly help in that aspect. Not every child learns the same, so using technology can certainly help them out when it comes to teaching certain topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology is definitely the best way to engage students in today's age. I completely agree that teachers utilizing technology in their lessons makes it more fun for the students and increases their use of creativity. I also agree that we will have to keep up with technology when we're teachers. The students we will be teaching will even be more technologically native than we are now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Paige!

    I agree with your statement that digital native is an accurate term to describe our generation. Personally, I think the difference in skill level is less than subtle, as it's a pretty common occurrence for those in older generations to struggle with technology (see the facebook page "Please show to Jim ! ! HA ! HA ! !" for some hilarious examples), but I think as younger teachers are joining the workforce, the foreignness of classroom technology is starting to lessen. But, as you mentioned, technology will continue to evolve and it'll be interesting to see how we adapt to it!

    Best,

    Josalin Hughes

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like we all are struggling with the analyst portion of the ISTE standards, but that just means we have much more to learn and grow. I agree that students are influenced by their innovation and I think technology is an important and interesting way to engage the students. Especially as they grow up in a world as digital natives. This combination of technology and education is really going to help students learn much more quickly than ever before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment